By Brian LePire
I often get asked, “what is the best brand of shingles to use on my roof.” So I thought I would take a minute to give you my opinion. Below are some of the best brands of shingles out there in my professional opinion.
What is the Best Brand of Shingles in 2018 and why?
When Alpha Roofing was looking for shingles manufacturers to partner up with I interviewed many companies. Here are some of the questions that I asked and helped me to determine the best roofing shingles in my professional opinion.
- How long is the shingle warranty? It used to be that shingles were marketed as “20-year” or “30-year” shingles. However, today’s shingles warranties are far different. Most companies offer what is called a “Limited Lifetime Warranty.” What limited lifetime means varies per company so make sure you read the specifications for that shingle. But in a nutshell, it means that the company is guaranteeing your shingles will be covered for manufacturer defects for in some cases up to 50 years, in other cases for “as long as you own the home.” It depends upon the manufacturer.
- Transferability of shingle warranty: The term “as long as you own the home” is key because the warranty may or may not be transferable to the new homeowner when you sell your house. This is very important because most warranties will only transfer once. We have run into problems with roofs that were only 5 or 6 years old and deteriorated due to manufacturer defects and the warranty wouldn’t cover it because it was not a second or third owner. That left the homeowners having to replace the roof prematurely at their own expense.
- How does the manufacturer act in warranty situations? Do they stand behind their product and happily cover a legitimate warranty claim, or do they give the homeowner and the roofing company the run around? In my investigation of shingle manufacturers, it was very important to find a manufacturer that stood behind their product.
- What is the reputation and customer satisfaction rate of the shingle? I was looking for shingles that were popular among homeowners because of looks, durability, longevity and price.
- How easily obtainable are the shingles in my area? Another item that is important is how easy is it to get that shingle brand in my area. Roofing suppliers don’t carry all brands in their inventory and may have to special order that shingle. That can be a problem in the event that future repairs are needed. What if that shingle type or color is no longer available?
Based on the factors above, we chose to become an Owens Corning Certified provider in Boise Idaho, choosing Owens Corning above all other brands as the brand that we felt provided the best warranty, quality, and value to our customers.
However, we also install other brands of shingles as well. In my professional opinion, here are the top 5 brands of roofing shingles in 2018.
- Owens Corning
If you need a roof replacement for your house in the Boise, Idaho area, give us a call. We will give you a free roof replacement estimate and walk you through your options. The fact is, there are several great shingle brands out there.
About Brian LePire
Brian has been in the roofing industry for more than 30 years. He has worked for suppliers, manufacturer’s and installation companies and is known as a roofing expert in Boise, Idaho. Brian is also a partner in Alpha Roofing, a Boise, Idaho, roofing company that has been providing roof replacement and repair for close to 15 years.